Secure Coding mailing list archives

re-writing college books [was: Re: A banner year for software bugs | Tech News on ZDNet]

From: michaelslists at gmail.com (mikeiscool)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 09:09:26 +1100

On 11/5/06, David Crocker <dcrocker at eschertech.com> wrote:
mikeiscool wrote:

Don't go there, sister. Come up with some reasonable tests before making a
statement like that. "Assembly code can be as much as a million times faster
then the run time of a C++ version of the same algorithm." Bit useless, isn't
it?
<<

I would not have made the statement I did had the tests not been done and
provided very clear results. I am not at liberty to go into details of the tests
I have been involved with, however if you Google for e.g. "C++ C# performance",
you will see that other people are getting similar results.

Right, so again your statement is useless without numbers and tests we
can perform ourselves. You made the statement, so you either have to
prove it or let it slide.

-- mic