Secure Coding mailing list archives

Intel turning to hardware for rootkit detection

From: Greenarrow1 at msn.com (Greenarrow 1)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:23:41 -0800

The root kit blahs, another fact of users not paying attention to what they
are opening or installing whether it be the home user or the corporate IT.
So the Intel program alerts you, well any good firewall should also alert
you of outgoing or programs communicating not authorized by you.  I feel the
major problem is not detecting them, it is the removal of Root Kits which
can cause other programs to malfunction or the OS to crash.  I did not see
any explanation from Intel of how to get rid of them if you happen to be one
of the unfortunate.  Maybe I read the article wrong but is it not a little
to late to be alerted after the fact.  They need to develop a program that
will detect a root kit before it gets to the registry like AV's do if it
detects a virus.  Major AV vendors are working on this now and from what I
had read and seen they are really having a problem with root kits.

There are some registry programs that do not allow anything in until the
user authorizes it so would not this defeat a root kit.  I know this as I
have one and even though it is a pain when I install trusted software or
hardware nothing gets changed or entered into the registry unless I
authorize it.  Even if it does not require a registry entry my other program
does not allow any new processes unless I authorize them.  I know they work
as I have bench tested numerous changes even using honey pot viruses which
did not get by my programs.  The Sony Cd I used was not allowed since it was
trying to install in the registry which my registry program alerted me to.
Which means the root kit never made it to my registry.

Happy Holidays to all.

Regards,
George
Greenarrow1