Secure Coding mailing list archives

Intel turning to hardware for rootkit detection

From: mudge at uidzero.org (mudge)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:01:08 -0500

There was a lady who went to Purdue, I believe her name was Carla
Brodley. She is a professor at Tufts currently. One of her projects,
I'm not sure whether it is ongoing or historic, was surrounding
hardware based stack protection. There wasn't any protection against
heap / pointer overflows and I don't know how it fares when stack
trampoline activities (which can be valid, but are rare outside of
older objective-c code).

www.smashguard.org and https://engineering.purdue.edu/ ResearchGroups/
SmashGuard/smash.html have more data.

I'm not sure if this is a similar solution to what Intel might be
pursuing. I believe the original "smashguard" work was based entirely
on Alpha chips.

cheers,

.mudge