Secure Coding mailing list archives

Intel turning to hardware for rootkit detection

From: bellovin at acm.org (Steven M. Bellovin)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:20:01 -0500

In message <200512131054.46244 at KRvW>, "Kenneth R. van Wyk" writes:
FYI, eWeek has an interesting article on Intel's "System Integrity Services,"
which aims to add hardware level protection against rootkits.  Now, it seems
to me that they're bundling all sorts of nasty critters in with their
definition of "rootkit" but it's worth reading, IMHO.

The detection mechanism seems to primarily be looking primarily for non-OS
software modifying OS inhabited memory blocks.  Wonder how they're definining
(and maintaining the definition) of each...  I also wonder how it'll impact
near-OS software installations like, say, device drivers, authentication
plug-ins, and other things that need to poke pretty deeply into the OS in
order to install.

Anyway, here's a URL to the article.

Put another way, Sony's DRM stunt, though ill-conceived and poorly
executed, would have been *authorized* if they'd cleaned up the
permission request just a little bit.

                --Steve Bellovin, http://www.stevebellovin.com