Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Education and security -- another perspective (was "ACM Queue - Content")

From: Fernando Schapachnik <fernando () mecon gov ar>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:17:16 +0100

En un mensaje anterior, ljknews escribió:
At 1:56 PM -0700 7/7/04, Dana Epp wrote:

I don't pick C for C's sake. I choose C because ON AVERAGE, most students will be exposed to C more than the
languages you suggest. Especially in the majority on industries hiring students out of university.

Primarily because that is what universities use for training.

Originally because Unix was so cheap for educational institutions.

I smell a vicious circle.

I smell a discusion going nowhere. What is the point of teaching a languague?
Teach them to program in a paradigm (better, in all of them, and give them the
tools to make educated choices about which is better for each context), and
choose any language as an *example* of the paradigm.

Latter on, they can pick the particularities of any language by a book.
Remember: don't give them fishes, teach them how to fish.

Having said that, giving a quick overview of C seems like a good idea when
teaching about security, because you can easily show examples of all types of
problems (I think is important, however, to make it clear that their represent a
class of problems, and can happen in many languages, not only in C).

Regards, Fernando.