Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Education and security -- another perspective (was "ACM Queue - Content")

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:04:25 +0100

ljknews wrote:

What is wrong with this picture ?

I see both of you willing to mandate the teaching of C and yet not
mandate the teaching of any of Ada, Pascal, PL/I etc.

Makes sense to me. what is the point of teaching dead languages like
Ada, Pascal, and PL/I?  Teach C, Assembler, and Java/C# (for the
mainstream), and some lisp variant (Scheme, ML, Haskell) and Prolog
variant for variety. But Ada, Pascal, and PL/I are suitable only for a
"history of programming languages" course :)

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com