Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Education and security -- another perspective (was "ACM Queue - Content")

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:27:30 +0100

ljknews wrote:

What is wrong with this picture ?

I see both of you willing to mandate the teaching of C and yet not
mandate the teaching of any of Ada, Pascal, PL/I etc.

This seems like the teaching of "making do".

There's something better for teaching about stupid programming tricks
than C?  The way I read it, they were both advocating teching what
screwing up in C looks like in assembly.  This does not preclude
teaching good programming in a safer language, and has the advantage
that those who will be working in C can do better in that, too.  I would
hope a secure programming course would cover what TO do and what NOT TO do.

                                BB