Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Education and security -- another perspective (was "ACM Queue - Content")

From: ljknews <ljknews () mac com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:34:30 +0100

At 9:40 AM -0400 7/7/04, James Walden wrote:
Dana Epp wrote:

Of course, I also think students should have to take at least one course in ASM to really understand how computer
instructions work, so they can gain a foundation of learning for the heart of computer processing. And
I think they should be taught the powers and failures of C. Since I know many of you think I'm nuts for that, you
might want to look at this outline with the same amount of consideration.

I agree with you on both of those requirements.  You need to have a basic understanding of assembly and how C is
translated into assembly to understand the most common types of buffer overflow attacks.  There are better languages
for secure programming than C, but students are almost certainly going to have to read or write C at some point in
their careers, so they need to understand it.

What is wrong with this picture ?

I see both of you willing to mandate the teaching of C and yet not
mandate the teaching of any of Ada, Pascal, PL/I etc.

This seems like the teaching of "making do".
--
Larry Kilgallen