Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Programming languages -- the "third rail" of secure coding

From: Dave Aronson <securecoding () dja mailme org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:00:12 +0100

"Michael S Hines" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I've been compiling a list of programming languages..

You missed FORTRAN, ICON, REXX, SNOBOL, and the assorted OS-based shell
scripting languages (bash/csh/ksh/etc., VMS DCL, DOS .bat, etc.).  I've
heard of JOVIAL, which I *think* is a programming language used almost
exclusively in the US military.  Since a few companies make things that
translate it into code, you might consider UML as well.  Then there are
a gazillion languages for particular commercial packages -- you got
Oracle's PL/SQL, but there are also dBase/Clipper, FrEd (Framework
Editor, from an old integrated office suite), Lotus 1-2-3 macros, and
many more.

Also, depending on your definition of "programming language" (versus
"markup language" and a few other types), you might have a few extras as
well.

--
David J. Aronson, Contract Software Engineer in Washington DC area
Resume and other information online at: http://destined.to/program