Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Programming languages -- the "third rail" of secure coding

From: "Craig E. Ward" <cew () acm org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:35:47 +0100

At 1:22 AM -0700 7/21/04, Crispin Cowan wrote:
I don't understand the purpose of this list. If it is to list all
programming languages, that is hopeless, as there are thousands of
programming languages. If it is to list all programming languages
with security ambitions, then I'm confused, as clearly not all of
the languages listed were intended to enhance security, and some of
them (glaringly PHP) substantially *degrade* security vs. many
languages that came before them.

The list would make more sense if the languages were classified by
type, e.g. imperative, functional, logic, declarative, etc. (Or some
other set of classifications/labels around which a consensus can be
found.) Then a question arises, is there any particular class of
language that lends itself better to secure programming than the
others?

Craig
--
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]