Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Programming languages -- the "third rail" of secure coding

From: James Walden <jwalden () eecs utoledo edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:18:30 +0100

Michael S Hines wrote:

I've been compiling a list of programming languages..   Some of which were
developed to 'solve' the insecure programming problem.  I don't think we've
made it yet.

If you want a list of all programming languages (or at least around 2500 of
them), try this page:

http://people.ku.edu/~nkinners/LangList/Extras/langlist.htm

The computer languages history page at http://www.levenez.com/lang/ is a good
reference for this type of information too, and O'Reilly has put out a family
tree poster(http://www.oreilly.com/news/graphics/prog_lang_poster.pdf) of a
couple hundred of the more important or commonly used languages.

[Ed. Ok, lists are great, but could we please either kill this thread or reel it in
and focus on the security strengths/weaknesses of the various languages?
Thanks!  KRvW]

--
James Walden, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor of EECS