Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: University plan

From: James Copeland <james.copeland () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 18:58:26 -0500

I have to interject on that.  I think that it depends on the
university.  For my undergrad, it was a combination of theoretical and
practical.  They tried to give you a combination of both.

For the original question though, I would say that more classroom
based is the way to go.  I don't know about others, but I feel that
doing the classes online is more almost like setting up a home lab and
learning by yourself except that you have a time table to learn by.
Granted in brick and mortar universities you still have that time
table but you also get to bounce ideas off others and you can also
have someone there that will typically help you if you get stuck.
Plus you won't have to shell out the money for the equipment.  I was a
poor college kid once so I know how that is.

Overall, though, no matter where you go, you will only get out of it
what you put into it.  I know that that is cliche but that is the
truth.  I saw it time and again as a TA in college.