Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: WiFi sniffing need to be connected?

From: Edwin Rene <edwin.rene () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 00:53:18 +0700

Enis Sahin wrote:
I have tried putting my wireless cards into monitor mode in backtrack
and tried to sniff my own wireless connection by tuning into its
channel. However all I captured was unintelligible packets (which I'm
guessing management packets) and couldn't see any TCP packets. Could
it be a problem with my wireless adaptor drivers and I couldn't
properly put it into monitor mode?

You've got it right. Because when you're in monitor mode it gets all the
wireless frame, ethernet compatible or not, but does not decode it , as
well as control frames, where as in managed mode your interface and
drivers decodes wireless frame into Ethernet format. Which I guess is
what you mean by "intelligible packets"

On second thought how would I differentiate between two tcp packets
originating from the same IP addess on different APs boradcasting on
the same channel...? Probably that's the problem.

I thought this would be obvious because the ESSID and BSSID would be
different.

I am a little confused about this wireless sniffing thing. Can anybody
help me to clarify :)?