Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: WiFi sniffing need to be connected?

From: Enis Sahin <enis.c.sahin () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:36:20 +0300

I have tried putting my wireless cards into monitor mode in backtrack
and tried to sniff my own wireless connection by tuning into its
channel. However all I captured was unintelligible packets (which I'm
guessing management packets) and couldn't see any TCP packets. Could
it be a problem with my wireless adaptor drivers and I couldn't
properly put it into monitor mode?

On second thought how would I differentiate between two tcp packets
originating from the same IP addess on different APs boradcasting on
the same channel...? Probably that's the problem.

I am a little confused about this wireless sniffing thing. Can anybody
help me to clarify :)?