Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: WiFi sniffing need to be connected?

From: Nikhil Wagholikar <visitnikhil () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:55:01 +0530

Dear friend Sherif,

Logically thinking, unless you know the IP Address range (if you
planning to do it manually) of the target Wireless network, how will
you put your Wireless NIC in promiscuous mode? Even if you somehow
guessed the network range, and configured your wireless card to some
arbitrary static IP Address, still, unless you are part of the
network, why will the packets reach your NIC? I mean, how will the AP
know, that there is one more NIC within my footprint area, to whom
I've to provide service?

In wireless networking, there is a concept called Association ID
(AID). Unless you have that, you are not considered to be part of the
wireless network and hence, even if you put your wireless NIC in
promiscuous mode, you will not receive any packets except beacon
frames.

More Info:
http://my.opera.com/subjam/blog/wireless-card-promiscuous-mode
http://airsnort.shmoo.com/faq.html