Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: WiFi sniffing need to be connected?

From: "kalgecin () gmail com" <kalgecin () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 07:38:05 -0600

You can find to which AP a particular packet belongs by looking at the
source/destination field. When you were sniffing your AP was the
client on wired network or wirelessly? You cannot sniff the wired
network wirelessly. But if the client is on wireless then the packets
to and fro has to be transmitted over the air. And there is nothing
that stops you from sniffing them