Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Is Pentesting Goal Oriented, or Coverage Oriented?

From: Jerome Athias <jerome.athias () free fr>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 13:47:14 +0200

Le vendredi 02 octobre 2009 à 21:02 -0400, Daniel Miessler a écrit :
Greetings List,

I'm having a discussion with Johannes Ullrich via the SANS Application
Security Streetfighter Blog on whether penetration testing is goal or
coverage oriented.

Johannes's position is that a pentest that attains a goal, e.g. root
access or a database dump, and then stops is an incomplete and poor
pentest. He believes a good pentester should continue finding as many
vulnerabilities as he can.
I agree, that's what I call a Pentest.

I hold the opposite view, which is that a penetration test is, by
definition, focused on achieving a specific goal,
That's what I call "Writing a Report".

 and that if the aim
of testing is to find as many vulnerabilities as possible the type of
test you're performing is a vulnerability assessment.
That's what I call ""Launching Nessus"".
(* If you don't include a fuzzing process).

Here are the original arguments:

Johannes: http://blogs.sans.org/appsecstreetfighter/2009/09/30/pentesting-do-you-need-coverage/
Me: http://blogs.sans.org/appsecstreetfighter/2009/10/03/response-pentesting-coverage/
My Original: http://danielmiessler.com/blog/infosec-vulnerability-assessment-vs-penetration-test

I'm curious as to what the list thinks of the two perspectives.
My 2 frog legs

--
Daniel R. Miessler
W: http://danielmiessler.com