Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: The goal of pentest by PCI DSS?

From: "Philip Cox" <phil.cox () systemexperts com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 07:43:49 -0700

Taras,

My $.02

Does this mean that the main aim of pentester by PCI DSS is cardholder
data?

Yes. When it gets down to it, the PCI DSS is all about protecting cardholder
data.

Or simply aim is to gain access (exploit vulnerabilities) to as
much systems in CDE as possible?

This too. If you can compromise a system in the CDE, then combinatorial
efforts may give access to CHD.

I asked about this because we can gain
access to for example Oracle DB and do not try to search PANs in it.
Or we can gain access to some users workstation and do not try to
search cardholder data in file system.

So it seems that you are asking "Do I go depth first, or breadth first" in
the PCI-DSS pen-test? If that is the question, then there is no PCI guidance
on that. They'd say "do both". I tend to do a 40/60 split: breadth, depth.

One more question. Do you use social engineering in pentests by PCI DSS?

You are supposed to (it is explicitly stated in the supplement), but I bet
most do not.

Phil