Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Is Pentesting Goal Oriented, or Coverage Oriented?

From: Chris Griffin <chris () logossecurity com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 05:50:52 -0400

I agree that finding one point in and stopping is an incomplete test.

If you follow a mature methodology such as the OSSTMM, you will find
that the goal is to completely cover within your scope of the test.

We KNOW there are ways in, the point is to show them as many as possible,
show them the controls that should be in place and also to make sure they
respond, ie know you got in via some sort of alarm control.

IMHO it's time to move past auditing for the sake of complying with
having an audit done
and to audit/test to find your weak points. I have seen far to many
companies only testing,
AND limiting their own scope for a better score, just because its mandated.

Chris

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Daniel Miessler