Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Internal Penetration Testing

From: christopher.riley () r-it at
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:04:02 +0200

Steve,

I can see your point. However I think you're not taking all the possible
variables into consideration. Not all testing should be carried out as a
blackbox test, infact you will find a lot more possible security issues
using a whitebox methodology. Although this gives an internal penetration
tester more knowledge than an attacker, it doesn't remove the validity of
the restults. Taking a basis example, an internal penetration tester my be
able to find (through manual testing or source code analysis) a Cross-Site
Scripting vulnerability on the primary website of the company. By using
knowledge of the product and access to more information than an attacker
he can find this vulnerability in a fraction of the time it would take an
external company performing a blackbox test. In this case the knowledge
the penetration tester has of the systems doesn't reduce the value of the
findings, however it does speed up the process.

Also, as somebody who works as an internal penetration tester for a bank,
I can say that there are far more applications and systems in a large
company than you'd think. It's also not left to the designers,
programmers, or support staff of these applications to perfom security
tests (penetration testing, or vulnerability scanning). Having a
completely seperate team to handle this means that we require no specialy
permissions to the application. It's not like we turn up to do a test and
already know what the Administrator password for the system is. That takes
a few minutes.... ;)

Chris John Riley