Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Internal Penetration Testing

From: Gorgon Beast <gorgonbeast () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:34:28 -0700

Internal pen testing can the same as external pentesting.  Studying the results may take a lot longer, though.  You
will collect a LOT of data abotu systems on your network.

The first thing to do is harden the systems to mitigate risk, while keeping usability.  For example, turn off services
that aren't in use is a good first step.  There are many books out there on harding different operating systems.

After you have finished the hardening, you can use your favorite tools to attempt to gain access to your own machines.
I use the same ones that I use to test the perimeter systems of our network.

As for books, There are many out there.  Generaly, it's a good idea to read about both sides so you know what to
secure, and how to attempt to break it.  I started with the Hacking Exposed series, it gives some good tools to look at
to understand what is really happening on a network.  From that information, you can determine which of your systems
need attention first.

Another good place for information is to read about how audits work.  Many times, they can give you a path that you
would like to follow for your own network.  Read how a SAS70 audit works, and how they are going to check your results.
 Read how SOX auditing works and what needs to change on your network to make it compliant.

Another source for information is the auditors, themselves. There are some very good articles (though old) under
Canaudit's Articles/publications sections of their web site.