Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: IPS arguments

From: "Webmaster 003" <webmaster () networkdefense biz>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:17:01 -0500

IPS can be used strategically in areas that you have subnetted, and then the cost factor for implementation would be negligable, even if you are using a comercial IPS. Yes, you would have to get your client's sys admin some training in writing their own IPS rules. Some companies are able to dictate how their software is coded, but most companies buy COTS and then are invested in the software they have learned how to use. For us to be "Should-ing" all over our clients does not further the goal of protecting their networks. Isn't Snort still available for free?

If we use Snort, can't we drive some acceptance in the eyes of our clients?
http://www.uno-code.com/?q=node/59 <-- an article on Snort as IPS. Written for gentoo-linux but easily adjustable to some other linux