Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: IPS arguments

From: "Adriel T. Desautels" <ad_lists () netragard com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:42:44 -0500

Different businesses have different security requirements based on their business drivers, network architecture and political structure. If the customer doesn't want to install IPS then your job is to understand why and to make sure that they are educated about what IPS/ IDS is. Once they are educated, allow them to make the decision and move on. The fact is that IPS is the same as IDS with the ability to interrupt, and its prone to false positives and even more false negatives. That said, it is a very useful technology if there is someone on staff that understand how to properly manage it. If not, then its a useless piece of technology.