Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: IPS arguments

From: Javier Reyna <jreyna () onlinet com mx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:12:12 -0600

an ISA Server, well, that's one argument to install an IPS. Symantec agents will only protect clients, but what
about services?  ISA Server will not really protect them. ISA as a firewall, will protect ports not the
aplication. If some sell me an CISCO IPS I will refuse too!!  I think the best way to realize what IPS protection
does vs a fw protection is ports vs applications. IPS does a more granular and deep inspection, at last IPS
analyze payload, enforce RFC, protect against zero days (sometimes). An only-firewall application will not do
that, IMHO I better change firewall technology Juniper+deepinspection+screen, checkpoint+smartdefense,
iptables+snortinline, just if the net is not too large.