Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: IPS arguments

From: "JoePete" <securityfocus () joepete com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:40:12 -0500

Compliance, ease of management, redundancy are all good reasons.

I have to admit there is part of me that sides with your CIO here, not that
I believe the CISCO IPS is superfluous, but that I want to hear from you (or
any consultant) how that IPS combined with the bundle of tools I already
have will increase the security of my operation.

Pardon my bluntness here, but the fact that you are asking a listserv to
explain/defend the implementation seems to imply that you are unsure (for
whatever reason) as well.

Implementation of a tool is far more critical than the actual tool itself.
The CIO may just be making sure that he understands the capabilities and
functions of that equipment before rushing ahead.

--
Joe