Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: My Frustrations

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:29:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Jamie Riden wrote:

: However, just running an automated tool such as nessus/nmap/whatever and
: dumping the results into a report is not nearly good enough - yes, I
: have seen this in a commercial pen-test report. Ugh.

This is the down-side to signing NDAs. They protect security companies
inadequacies just as much as they protect sharing sensitive data with a
third-party.

Customers pay, and they can control such NDAs if they choose. It would be
nice to see more customers reword NDAs to protect themselves, agree not to
disclose some vendor 'trade secrets' (really, ./nessus -args isn't a trade
secret), but not bind themselves further. This would let a company post to
the list "We used X Scan Shop, Inc. and were very unhappy. They provided
unsanitized $product reports without even validating false positives."