Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Security Scanner (Commercial vs Freeware)

From: Leon Rosenstein <l_rosenstein () MONTELSHOW COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:27:28 -0400

Hi everyone.  I was wondering if anyone would mind comparing and contrasting
for me the benefits / liabilities of using a commercial product (such as
Cybercop, ISS, or Retina) vs. something freeware like Nesses.  If you know
of any other commercial or freeware scanners please feel free to include
them in the comparison.

My questions center around ease of use, number of features / checks (I think
quality is probably more important then quantity but I am unsure), ease of
deployment, and frequency of updates / patches or signatures, (who wants an
out of date scanner. With the way exploits are coming out I am sure they
become obsolete within a month or so).

I would like to have all these weighed out vs. price.  More clearly, what
does several thousands of dollars buy you that you don't get with a freeware
scanner?  II have heard great things about all the products I have listed..
I am just curious as to how Nessus (or any other quality) freeware scanner
matches up to the proven heavy weights that cost several thousand dollars.

Thanks in advance and both public and private responses are welcome.

Leon