Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Decrypting VNC passwords - Tool required

From: "Hyde, Mark (GEO)" <Mark.Hyde () COMPAQ COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:51:07 +0200

Loki,

These passwords are stored in an encrypted form in the registry. The tools
discussed decrypt the password. It is not a brute force.

If you have remote registry access then you may be able to retreive the
password.

Taking a typical VNC implementation scenario - ie Admins use VNC on
workstations - to support user problems and on servers - for remote admin. A
workstation user would have very little difficulty to get hold of the VNC
password in his local registry and decrypt it. There is a very good chance
that the same password is used for all workstations & servers on the net and
so you are potentially putting the keys to the domain on every workstation.

From a penetration point of view it would be much simpler to attack a
workstation (with less chance of being detected), then move to the servers.

If I have time I would like to check if the VNC password goes in clear over
the net. If so then the workstation user would just have ask for admin to
provide remote support and then  sniff the session and not bother about
decryting. But I'm sure someone has already checked this...

Mark