Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Decrypting VNC passwords - Tool required

From: David Jacoby <pewp () R00TMAFFIA ORG>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:11:51 +0200

Dear erica!

if it was just standard DES encyption you can easy use the program John The Ripper. You can download
the program at

ftp://ftp.technotronic.com/unix/passwd-crackers/

//pewp

erica bernt skrev:

Hi Everyone,

I was doing an audit of some systems and managed to
penetrate into the NT domain. I see that VNC is
installed and so I picked up the DES encrypted
password from the registry. As per :

http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/VNC_3_3_2_R6_uses_a_weak_password_protection_mechanism.html

My specific questions to you is what tool would you
recommend to decrypt this password ? and are there any
other ways to attack VNC ?

On a more general level, what are the most formidable
remote management tools that are out there that you
have most difficulty to detect and penetrate ?

regards Erica