PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Setting up a testing server "in the cloud"

From: Jim Halfpenny <jim.halfpenny () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 14:55:33 +0100

Hi Robin,
I would rent a VPS for the sole reason that you will have more
flexibility and it will more likely prove cost effective. I've used
Amazon EC2 and the only issue I have was blocking port 25 outbound as
I set off a spam alarm. Amazon quickly lifted this block when I
explained that I was using the VPS for security testing and not spam.

As far as finding a pen test friendly hosting company the policy of
don't ask, don't tell applies. Unless you are going to be doing
something in direct conflict with the terms of service it should not
be a problem. Your hosting company is unlikely to ask you what you are
going to be doing with the service, frankly it's not really their
business to know.

Of course you could always rent a VPS in a country where regulation on
use is less well enforced. H D Moore mentioned hiring a resource in
Russia in his interview on PSW recently.

Regards,
Jim