PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Looking for some event and security log monitoring software

From: fd <fd () secure-designs com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:05:50 -0500

I also have to jump on the Splunk bandwagon. However, you should get a good look at your budget and the amount of log messages you receive on a daily basis. I'd start with a generic syslog machine spun up on vm to gather each and every log message your network has to offer. I'm guessing it's well over 500mb per day. Take a look at one day's worth of logs, find what's really important, filter that down, and take another look at the size of the logs. Then talk to the Splunk sales team. One of the key points to remember with an enterprise license is the expanded reporting and alerting capabilities that are essential to log management. Upper management loves pie charts, and an RSS or SMS alert can mean the difference between proactive or reactive security enforcement. Especially when inheriting a network that you know little to nothing about.

OP: I also work in a healthcare environment and am more that familiar with the situation you are in. If you want to discuss things in more detail feel free to contact me off list, and I'll be happy to share my wins and lessons learned in healthcare security. The less people have to stumble when securing PHI the better off we all are.