PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Looking for some event and security log monitoring software

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenable com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:16:47 +0000

On 7/10/12 10:10 AM, Brian Schultz wrote:
So I recently started a new job at a small-ish hospital and was
tasked with setting up something that can audit security logs. It
sounds and is pretty vague, but this is for HIPAA compliance. I'm
more of an infrastructure guy and haven't had a chance to deal with
security much and my only exposure is really through the podcast. I
have no idea what products are out there to do these things. The
environment here is about 99.99% Windows. I was taking a look at
Solarwinds Log and Event Manager which looks pretty good so far,
but it also requires an agent to be installed on any machines you
want to monitor which can be a hassle.

Hi there,

Tenable just released version 4 of our Log Correlation Engine. It combines
ad-hock log search with advanced correlation. There are 100s of easy to
use pre-built dashboards for tracking botnets, authentication, ids events,
.etc and all of the correlation is built in and turned on by default so you don't
have to configure a bunch. it has similar WMI and agents to collect system
logs, but also parses realtime logs from the Tenable Passive Vulnerability
Scanner,  so you can get DNS, file sharing, web browsing, SSH and other
network events without having to deploy agents or even collect logs.

It's priced extremely competitive to other SIMs and if you are doing any type of
security monitoring, having your Nessus scanner(s) managed from the same
console as your log analysis tools not only makes your HIPAA reporting
easier (since you have vulns & events in one spot), it makes your security
monitoring better as well.

Log Correlation Engine url:
http://www.tenable.com/products/tenable-log-correlation-engine

Dashboards: