PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Netbook & Distro for Bob

From: Arch Angel <arch3angel () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:19:00 -0400

I would try and find an older Aspire One on eBay or Craigslist, WalMart may
even still sell some.  That's if it must be a netbook.  Have you considered
older IBM Thinkpads, not much bigger and work nicely.  Any of those
directions though are not going to have tons of computing power so any
password cracking or other intensive tasks may not do well.

I have three different netbooks, HP MiniNote 2133, Dell, and Aspire One.
The HP MiniNote didn't do very well without changing the internal wireless
card and tweaking things a good bit and tend to cost more because of the
aluminum case.  The dell did well but an external wireless card (USB) is a
must and they can be found fairly well at a reasonable price.  The Aspire
one had an Atheros wireless card in them from the factory so if thats the
gig then perfect.  I have seen people tweak the system to accept an
external antenna but not sure how much work it really took, I just seen it
completed.  The system itself is like all the netbooks, not a ton of
computing power but gets the job done and can be found easy enough.

Once you have the net book I would run BackTrack or Pentoo on a hard disk
install.  To get the custom work you can knock out a shell script or Python
script to execute on boot changing all those things.  Just give yourself a
couple minutes before connecting it to a network after boot to make sure
every change was completed, or script in a message box saying "Bob Is Ready"

Hope this helps,

Robert
(arch3angel)