PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Inspecting SSL traffic for free "A.K.A IDS/IPS on SSL connections"

From: Sherif El-Deeb <archeldeeb () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 07:49:55 +0300

- I would like to inspect traffic for SSL(TLS?) connections, I already
pushed our own root CA to all machines' trusted Root certificates and
no warnings shows up when a certificate that is signed by it gets
served.

- The feature I am looking for is like "Burp's invisible proxy +
generate CA-signed per-host certificates" where a certificate is
generated on the fly for each host using a pre-defined pre-trusted
root CA while being able to inspect the payload "No, ettercap is not
production friendly and it does not allow HTTPS interception in bridge
sniffing, cain is no better".

- I know that wireshark decrypts SSL traffic when you provide it with
the private key, the tricky part is the
"on-the-fly-per-host-certificate-generation".

- That particular subnet's gateway is a linux machine with two NICs,
simple iptable nat, 30 computers...

- I am aware of few commercial products that does this, but I will
appreciate telling me how to do it for free.

Thanks in advance.
Sherif Eldeeb.