PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Inspecting SSL traffic for free "A.K.A IDS/IPS onSSLconnections"

From: "Liam Randall" <Liam.Randall () gigaco com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 00:49:41 -0400

This won't get you all the way there.

If you haven't looked at it yet maybe try setting up Bro to dissect your
network traffic in realtime.  They have a fancy SSL analyzer, however it
is not going to fully decrypt all of your SSL sessions.  It will report
on keys, signing, sessions, etc for nearly everything speaking ssl.
Jump right to pages 165/166 for an overview:
http://tracker.bro-ids.org/bro/export/5bf18fdb7f1d54d290728ce02b95e1579b
3a65f0/bro/doc/ref-manual/Bro-Ref-Manual.pdf

I would drop by #bro-ids on freenode.

Tangently related, with the 2.0 release out of the box you can start to
get real fancy and detect things like browser plugins off the wire, dump
plain text passwords, etc.  The 2.0 release has pretty good protocol
coverage and those guys are working their butts off on SMB and others.

Other stuff you may need to capture and disassemble offline w/ Xplico,
chaosreader, wireshark, etc.

Bro is now included in security onion; highly recommend it.  It also has
daemonlogger (for full packet capture), snort/suricata, sguil, xplico,
wireshark, chaosreader...

Best of luck.

Liam Randall