PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: running 3 monitors off a laptop

From: Juan Carlos <juanccortester () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 22:18:09 -0500

Hey Robin,

I am running a Dell Precission m4600 with a AMD ATI FirePro M5950 but in
order to get the third monitor i use a display port. Particularly a usb to
dvi..
Not pretty but works for me.

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Robin Wood <robin () digininja org> wrote:

I'm getting a new laptop soon and was thinking of getting something
powerful enough and with a docking station so I could replace my
desktop. I've currently got three monitors on my desktop and would
like to keep all three so was wondering if anyone could recommend any
laptops which had docking stations which had the potential to run all
three. Or are there any good external graphics cards which would let
me do this? I've seen an Asus box that takes a normal graphics card
and runs it through expresscard but that is a few years old and I've
not seen any recent mentions of it.

Most of the work I do is in vim and bash in fluxbox so I don't really
need anything powerful.

Any suggestions?

Robin

--