PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: bluetooth device for proximity detection

From: Bruce Barnett <grymoire () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:20:56 -0500

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Jim Halfpenny <jim.halfpenny () gmail com>wrote:

What about other small bluetooth devices? A cheep bluetooth headset might
work and they are very small especially if you remove the ear clip. Most
are rechargable via USB so you should not get caught short if the battery
dies. Just plug it in to your pc to charge and unlock.

Jim

That should work with the script I wrote. It doesn't make a connection -
it just checks that the device is seen.
I'll have to try the hcitool version that twitchy wrote. That might be
faster, and capturing the signal strength would be useful.