PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: The future, what employers look for, and degrees

From: Kevin <l0ngshot.0x00 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 00:41:58 -0500

Adrian,

I'd have to say a lot depends on the employer. Where I work, they value the paper. I got into the company by someone I
knew getting my resume into the right hands, but for two years no one would judge me by what I knew. I took the time
and got my MCSA and overnight I was suddenly the Windows Guru. And a similar reaction when I got my GCIH.
I am now working on my degree for a bachelor's in Comp Sci because I have been told by a mentor that sooner or later I
will hit a glass ceiling without it.
Am I getting something out of it? Yes, but it is definitely more academic/theoretical that practical, but I do find
some of the classes flesh out some of the practical learning I have had. That's my two cents.

Kevin