PaulDotCom mailing list archives

The future, what employers look for, and degrees

From: Adrian Crenshaw <irongeek () irongeek com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:50:40 -0500

    Ok, I was speaking with someone today from a different field today that
has a masters. I alluded to the fact that I'm loosing interest in the
"Security Informatics" masters program I'm in because of lack of perceived
applicability, time taken that I could use learning other things, and it
seems like there is a huge disconnect between academia vs. what I see in the
industry (through my admittedly limited experience listening to podcast,
reading forums/mailing list, going to conferences, etc). His take was that
I'd be competing with people in the future, and the masters degree could
likely be the deciding factor. Do you think that is really true? Or do you
think employers will start to see academia as it has become to be a largely
wasteful exercise vs. getting your name out there and learning/getting
experience on your own? When I hear about people going into great debt to
get something that amounts to a union card in many cases (a degree), it kind
of makes be hope the whole system can be reformed. For what I've seen in the
industry, it seems to mater more what people know you for than any degree
you have. Am I wrong? Anyone got a different way to look at it?

Adrian