PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Nmap 5.50 and OpenVPN

From: Adrian Crenshaw <irongeek () irongeek com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 21:27:43 -0500

Hi folks,
   I know some of you use a VPN into another location when pentesting. Ever
have it give you issue when using Nmap? I've got Nmap 5.50 under Windows 7
64bit using OpenVPN 2.2-beta5  which gives the following error when I use:
nmap -T4 -A someiprange

Starting Nmap 5.50 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-02-06 21:19 Eastern Standard
Time

dnet: Failed to open device eth16

QUITTING!

Under Backtrack, using Nmap 5.35 and whatever version of OpenVPN they have,
it works fine, even using a VM. Just one of those things I should only do in
Linux? Sometimes the Windows configuration listed above works, and at other
times it does not. For those wondering, I'm exploring the Anonet Darknet.

Thanks,
Adrian