PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Linux offline patching

From: Ryan Sears <rdsears () mtu edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:18:43 -0500 (EST)

I worked with RHEL5 for the past year or so using RHN (which isn't the greatest in my opinion), and a yum repo sounds
like the best solution. I don't know what you're managing all your clients with (if anything) but i'd look into
puppet/CFEngine before RHN/RHN Satellite. They're both grossly expensive, and if you can get away with puppet/CFEngine
everything is under your control for free. It's a bit harder to setup/manage, but in the end I think you'll be happier.

Keep in mind though that (according to my boss at least) RHEL backports all it's security fixes to previous versions,
then doesn't update the version banners. This is *quite* frustrating when trying to figure out what's patched and
what's not, and figuring out your attack surface area. My suggestion to you is to get a PoC for at least one of the
issues then see if it's still affected. Do it with a few, and you can tell pretty clearly if this is indeed what's
going on.

I'm not sure WHY Red Hat does this, but we've gone through the exact same ordeal with RHEL/Nessus :(.

I BELIEVE that's what's going on. I could be wrong though, so it's always best to test this kind of stuff out.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Ryan Sears