PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Sans GSEC training suggestions.

From: Brandon McGinty <brandon.mcginty () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 14:44:55 -0400

All,
I am looking into taking the GSEC next Spring.
However, the $4045, or $3072, that the SECURITY 401 class and boot camp
would run me, is a bit more than I can stand to spend at the present.
I can pay the $899 for the exam itself, and I tend to do better with
self-study anyhow.
Also, Sans has discontinued selling it's study materials for courses, so
buying them directly is not an option.
I have found the following books on Amazon:
----
GSEC GIAC Security Essential Certification Exam Preparation Course in a
Book for Passing the GSEC Certified Exam - The How To Pass on Your First
Try Certification
Study Guide
by William Manning (Paperback - Nov 17, 2009)
----
The GSEC Prep Guide: Mastering SANS GIAC Security Essentials
by
Mike Chapple
(Paperback - Jun 27, 2003)
----
The first has less than stellar reviews, while the second seems a bit
outdated, and also has negative comments.
I was thinking of getting a book for each of the 62? sections of the
GSEC exam, but that might become rather costly as well.
Do any of you have any resources that you can recommend?
Are these indeed the only GSEC books published?
As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Brandon McGinty