PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Email Bugs

From: Craig Freyman <craigfreyman () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 07:15:57 -0600

I've had a slew of friends/family show me the same type of email virus
lately. The email is spoofed with their address as the from address. I've
seen it on yahoo, hotmail and msn email accounts. The recipients are all
contacts in that person's address book but there are no messages in their
sent messages. None of these people use any type of email client, but
directly interact with their email via the web. The email usually just has
one hyper link in the body and a goofy subject line. Some of the links
connect to fake pharmaceutical sites but virus total shows the URL to be
clean. The IPs in the header all come from the provider so it doesn't appear
to be a virus on the computer. I'm wondering if there is some kind of xss
bug that maybe an advertisement is using in these sites thats able to
harvest and email these recipients?

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas?

Thanks!