PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Episode 217p2: Slutty wireless network cards

From: David Porcello <DPorcello () vermontmutual com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:48:23 -0400

Adrian, I hugely support this effort!! This has bugged me for years! There is an excellent catalog of open source
wireless drivers at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_wireless_drivers; monitor mode support is
indicated for each driver, but if promiscuous mode is a separate and distinct feature, this would be extremely useful
to know!

I've yet to find a similar reference for windows wireless drivers. NDIS 6 supposedly supports monitor mode, but which
chipsets/drivers support NDIS 6?

<< The Microsoft Windows Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS) API does not support any extensions for wireless
monitor mode in older versions of Windows. With NDIS 6, available in Windows Vista and later versions of Windows, it is
possible to enable monitor mode.[1] NDIS 6 supports exposing 802.11 frames to the upper protocol levels;[2] with
previous versions of NDIS only fake Ethernet frames translated from the 802.11 data frames can be exposed to the upper
protocol levels. >> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor_mode)