PaulDotCom mailing list archives

...really SMART phones :?

From: strandjs at gmail.com (John Strand)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:20:37 -0700

I have the Droid and I could not be happier.

Let me see if I can convince you..

http://www.alldroid.org/

Debian on the Droid

http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=210&t=1506

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Sam Buhlig <sbuhlig at gmail.com> wrote:

Watch out for the Motorola Motoroi!!! 8 megapixel camera!!! That is
awesome!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/19/motorola-motoroi-coming-to-usa-in-march/

Sam

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Dan McGinn-Combs <dgcombs at gmail.com>wrote:

Looks like a lot of Droid-ites responding - clearly the favorite of many
techies. So I'll just pipe in with my thoughts on the Pre.

As a long time user of Windows Mobile devices, I'm very impressed and
happy with the Palm Pre. As I told a friend of mine (iPhone user) it's the
first phone I've had that I didn't need to seriously hack to get some good
use out of it.

*What I like*: The Pre has a touch screen and fully implemented HTML5
user interface *with* multi-touch gestures. It integrates very well with
Exchange (for work) and Google (for personal). The Synergy feature gets me
access to everyone's information in one fell swoop. It has a physical
keyboard. The absolute best thing, though, is the relationship between Palm
and the "hacker" community. Witness this recent twitter posting from
WebOSInternals: http://twitter.com/webosinternals/status/7145061661. They
were given early access to a WebOS update by Palm. Contrast that with the
relationship the Jail Break community has with Apple! In fact, many
applications in the official App Catalog were "graduates" from the
side-loading, app gallery. Palm has taken quite a few hacker patches and
incorporated them into the official releases of WebOS.

*What I don't like*: Well, I could do with a few more apps. Having used
Windows Mobile phones (in spite of the interface) and being used to the
availability of things like the xda developer's forum has spoiled me. I
could do with a larger screen. Maybe we could jail-break the iPad and run
WebOS on it!

Dan