PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Protecting your family

From: bioradmeister at gmail.com (Dan Stadelman)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:23:49 -0700

Congrats on the baby!!!

Dan

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Jason Guyer <guyerjp at yahoo.com> wrote:

Hey guys I should have known better than to put up a question like that
without giving more details about my current setup. It might be after the
fact, but I have a laptop running Ubuntu 9.10 and a desktop that dual boots
between XP SP3 and Ubuntu 9.10. I've been using OpenDNS for years now and
I'm very happy with the way things work with them especially when it comes
to content filtering at my in-laws. I also always run AV on my systems
(Avira for XP and AVG for Ubuntu) and I definitely make sure the AV and
patches are all up to date. I've also been running m0n0wall as my firewall
for several years and Francois mentioned pfSense. I've been wanting to check
that out in place of m0n0wall and now is a good time for me to try it. I am
also planning on getting another low power small form factor PC for
additional filtering and Timothy mentioned using Squid with dansguardian and
that looks good to me. I also liked what Nick said about treating my home
network like an enterprise network and the more I think about it the more it
makes sense. It has also been suggested to me by my coworkers to look at
Untangle since it's what we use at the office as well as Vyatta for a
firewall/router. The Vyatta thing I'll look at later since it looks like it
will take quite a while to learn the commands and configuration. I can't
thank you guys enough for all the help and I'm gonna try to return the favor
when I can.