PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Protecting your family

From: nick.fulldisclosure at gmail.com (Nick)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 06:47:48 -0600

To protect my family from inappropriate content, I use squid with
squidguard.  To help prevent malicious content from reaching outside, I have
a BO level firewall on the perimeter with very strict in and out rules.  I
also have a logging server that eats everything happening on the network
which I review twice a week.  It's no silver bullet (as nothing ever is),
but it's better than nothing.

I may be going a little overboard, but I try to treat my home network like I
would an enterprise network.  Multiple layers of defense not just from a
standpoint of outside in, but also inside out.  Most everything used to
protect the network and my family is open source as I don't have a budget to
buy enterprise level solutions.  Now, this is just what I've done.  You can
do more or less, it's basically dependant on your level of comfort with your
network security posture.

Hope this gives you a better idea of where to go with protecting your
family.

-Nick

P.S. I'd like to hear what others have done with their home networks.  It's
always interesting to know how other security minded people protect their
homes.