PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Protecting your family

From: digitallachance at gmail.com (Francois Lachance)
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 17:08:57 -0600

OpenDNS is a great and free solution that works great and is easy. Not
only that protects you by filtering questionable content, but they
also provide some protections against worms/viruses that try to call
home using host names by making those hosts known to be bad to not
resolve. That in combination with a pfSense based anti-virus filter to
protect everything on your network adds simple layers of defense.

Finally, I have created seperate accounts on my XP machine for my kids
and they do not have local admin provileges (of course).   All my
machines run their own AV as well. That means that my traffic is
inspected by two different AV engines.

I am sure that more could be done, but you have to weight those
efforts against the fact that those can add failure points and
complexity to your home network.