PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Legit Mass Emails Cause Blacklisting

From: dshpritz at edgewebhosting.net (David Shpritz)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:06:42 -0500

Robert,
My experience in this area is mostly with (legitimate) email marketing, so some of this may not apply, and of course
YMMV.  I apologize to others on the list for the long winded reply, and it's not a problem if you would like to take
this off list.

There are a few things to look at:
1)  Make sure you are on feedback loops.  AOL, Comcast, Yahoo (requires DomainKey/DKIM signing of messages), and
RoadRunner have ok ones and hotmail also has a web interface you can use to see problems.  The downside is that a lot
of these require cooperation from the people listed in the ARIN whois for the IP address(es) you are sending from.  In
a related note, make sure you are getting complaints from SpamCop (spamcop.net) as well.  These will at least help you
in identifying where the complaints are coming from.

2)  Use a confirmed opt-in list and make sure you have opt-in records.  I know they're customers, but having the opt-in
info makes it much much easier to get off of a list if you get on one.  You should keep as much of the following as
possible:
Date of the signup
IP address of the signup
URL used for the signup
Email address of the signup
Date of the confirmation
IP address of the confirmation
URL used for the confirmation

3)  Make sure you process your bounce backs, and pay attention to your servers' logs as they are the first indicator of
deliverability problems.  Some providers say that you should remove an address from your list on the first bounce, but
some will stretch it to 3 bounces (there is also logic used based on the status given by the bounceback).  A lot of
providers use SpamTraps and see repeated attempts to deliver to non-existent addresses as a "spammy" behavior.

4)  Throttle your send rate.  Different providers have different "acceptable" levels for connections per second, number
of messages per hour, etc.  If you push them too far they will block you altogether.

5) Check the email reputation for the IPs you are sending from.  SenderScore (return path, http://www.senderscore.org)
is used by a lot of ISPs, while Cisco IronPort appliances use SenderBase (http://www.senderbase.org).

On a side note, there is a great piece of software, although not open source or free (pricey from what I understand)
called PowerMTA from a company called Port25 (http://www.port25.com/).  It lets you use multiple IPs on a multi-homed
server to send out messages and lets you do all kinds of throttling.  In addition it lets you keep "accounting" logs
which is a CSV formatted file of the messages sent, their delivery or failure, and the reasons.  Processing them and
getting them into MSSQL, MySQL, etc. become pretty easy after that.  It's utterly configurable, and does a great job.
I don't work for them, but they are a great bunch of guys and make a great product.  You can also use a piece of
software called BoogieBounce (I think) to do bounce processing on messages which are not rejected when the mail server
delivers them.

Again, sorry for the long message, and feel free to contact me off list (unless more people are interested).

Hope this helps,

David Shpritz
?