PaulDotCom mailing list archives

best way to run graphical BT4 from a server

From: crossy1 at gmail.com (Robert Keresztes)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 23:35:16 +0200

Hi,

Check out Nomachine's NX Free Edition for Linux, seems to be the exact
thing you are looking for.
It is an X proxy/broker that tunnels through SSH and is actually FAST.
(No, really.)

You install the server part on the guest Linux VM and forward the
appropriate port on the host to the guest VM's sshd like you'd do with
normal ssh.
Then install the client on your Linux|Windows|MAC and connect to the
forwarded port on your host.
You need to set up on the client side what kind of environment you are
connecting to (GNOME, KDE, etc.) and your connection speed in order to
optimize the connection.

Another neat feature is that AFAIK, the NX server running on your guest
does not require an actual X server/WM session running just that the
libs are installed.
This means that you can have remote X while @ runlevel 3 for headless
operation.

I have been using Nomachine's version for a while now on Solaris and
Linux and it seems to be working fine, the ability to resume an X
session saved me from a lot of pain several times.
Since Nomachine opened up almost all of their code in 2004, there is a
free alternative called FreeNX and Google also recently announced their
own GPL'd NX implementation - Neatx.
I do not have any experience regarding these, they might also be good
for you.

Robert